söndag 25 juli 2010

The Wrap Up - Part One

Your Questions Answered!

Q: Are all Swedes blonde, blue-eyed, tall, thin & attractive?
A: No. It's like expecting all Australians to look like either "typical bronzed Aussie" or similar stereotyping. I would estimate that about 70% of Swedes are brunettes, and in general they didn't look tall to me. I did see some who would almost fit the stereotype, but even they were not jaw droppingly gorgeous like some would have you believe all Scandinavians are. I am told that all the people who do look like the stereotype are employed at the front of house for the top end hotels and restaurants - but I didn't go to these places. Outside of tourist places I would always be addressed in Swedish, so I wasn't obviously foreign - so physically I could  pass as a Swede (?). I am not blonde, blue-eyed, particularly tall or thin and while Dr M thinks I am the most beautiful woman in the world, I have not yet received any offers to start off my modeling career. In other words, I am an ordinary looking person as are the majority of Swedes.

Q: Wasn't it cold?
A: Nope. Some days were even too warm for comfort with Dr M ditching his bike ride to work in favour of the the cooler option of public transport. To be accurate, it was a bit unseasonable warm and rain free while I was there, but even a few degrees cooler and you wouldn't have been cold. It generally wasn't hot in the evening, but I needed sunscreen until about 7.30pm as the sun still had a lot of bite in it until that point, and with the sun not going below the horizon until about 10pm. It was cool after the sun went down if the wind was blowing - but a light jacket was sufficient for warmth. I had to buy an extra pair of lightweight pants as I thought that I would live in jeans while there and it was far to hot for them (I wore my jeans about three times - in England and the second day in the Arctic Circle and I think out to dinner one night). I was a bit cold the day we went down the mine in the Arctic Circle - the air was 8 degrees underground and about 5 ish degrees about that above ground - but rainy with a breeze, and I didn't help matters by slipping on the grass and ending up with wet pants which then made me very cold.

Q: Isn't Sweden really expensive?
A: Some things were, some things weren't. The Aussie dollar is pretty strong right now so the exchange rate was in our favour. I thought lunches were really good value. Dinner was a little less so (but dinners out tended to be at more expensive type places). Stuff in supermarkets was reasonable. Entry to museums/attractions  was dirt cheap. I don't think that anything material was cheap, but then I don't think anything was cheap in quality. I thought that both Denmark and London were more expensive - I thought London was heaps more expensive (and without the quality).

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar