onsdag 14 juli 2010

Oxford

On Tuesday night I made my way to Oxford where I caught up with some friends from Uni days. While I had seen one of them about 4 years ago on a visit back to Australia, I hadn't seen her husband since before they left Australia about 6 years ago (and I hadn't met their second child)- so we had a great catch up at the local British Legion Club (reminiscent of a country RSL). It was even darts night.

On Wednesday they showed me around the town of Oxford, particularly Christchurch college - including the famous cathedral and dining hall (used for the dining hall in the Harry Potter films).  Our little group of four was given a personalised tour around the cathedral and even were taken out a door mrked 'private' to be shown a secluded courtyard not open to guests. 

We also climbed the cupola at the top of the Sheldonian Theatre from where we could gaze out at the 'dreaming spires' of Oxford. Other stops included the Divinity school of the Bodleian Library (AKA  the infirmary in Harry Potter) and the famous Turf Tavern (where Bill Clinton didn't inhale, Bob Hawke did drink a record breaking yard glass and where the fictitious Inspector Morse spent much time drinking). We also ate a delicious lunch in an old church vault and visited the science museum which included a blackboard that Einstein had drawn on during a guest lecture.

I was finally treated to both traditional English weather of heavy rain and the sight of green lawns (London was a brown, crispy grassed dustbowl!) before boarding the return flight to Stockholm.

1 kommentar:

  1. I am not in England - nor Sweden. I am however in Lake Cargelligo with the rellies. Sounds like a short but packed trip to England - I knew you would see lots. I will lock up the Pimms when you come! Enjoy the rest of you time - will be online as often as possible to read the rest of your travels. Colleen is also very interested in what you are doing!

    SvaraRadera