fredag 9 juli 2010

Millesgarden (or Lost in Lidingo)

Friday I jumped on the bike to head for Millesgarden - the home and sculpture garden of the acclaimed Swedish artist Carl Milles. Millesgarden is on the island of Lidingo - and unfortunately I had a lot of trouble finding it! I made it to Lidingo in about 25 minutes - then spent an hour trying to get across/around major roads and railway lines.

When I finally made it, on of the first sculptures I saw illustrated how I felt while looking for the garden.

I did not know much about Carl Milles before, but having perused his work, I can confidently say that his main inspirations were nudity, angels, nudity, religion, nudity, greek mythology, nudity, christianity and nudity. Apparently many of his sculptures back in the day offended and many were 'modified' after completion (fig leaves, removal of offensively large male organs even though in scale with rest of sculture etc).

As well as walking around the sculture garden which had numerous statues and fountains, you could see inside his house including his studio. It was decorated through out with sculptures, mosaics, hand painted tiles and other artists work.
An unexpected bonus was being able to view his collection of ancient Roman marble carvings - some 2000 years old. Quite amazing.

It took 35 minutes to get home in the Fri arvo crazy traffic - in comparison to the 90 minutes it took for me to find it.

1 kommentar:

  1. Looks like you will soon be bicycling through all of the cities of the world! Keep setting me a fine example which, in true spirit of the mother, I will ignore. Enjoy the weekend! Say hi to Alison from us

    SvaraRadera