fredag 2 juli 2010

I've been riding on the railroads (and terrorising tourists, again)

I started yesterday with a bike ride - with the intention of extending out from yesterday's walking route. It didn't go quite to plan as I had difficultly reading the road signs - so I didn't make it out to the next island along. I did manage to ride along a few new areas of Swedish suburbia and coped quite well (especially for my first solo bike ride in Sweden). I am not used to riding with traffic, traffic lights or on that side of the road, so occasionally it was a bit of a challenge. I had decided that about 2 hours was the limit, so I headed for home - and I managed to further damage the American relations. I hit one of them with the bike. He was in the wrong place (ie the road) and I gave him fair warning (shouting "hey, hey, hey" - and braking sharply) but he didn't pay attention so I ran into him (not hard as I had almost stopped at the time I hit him, no one fell over). He apologised (American accent) and I took it like a Swede (didn't say anything, just rode on - to the pedestrian crossing 5m away where I think his fellow travelers were crossing). I think that the man knew that he was in the wrong place (threading his way through traffic) and I couldn't have done any further measures to avoid hitting him (no room to swerve due to parked cars and traffic).

After that incident I thought it best that I spend the rest of the day on public transport and decided to ride the trains to check out the art that is Stockholm train stations.

All stations are different, and a number of them are decorated quite elaborately. Some have murals, some are painted and some have sculptures throughout. To the left is one of the tiled murals decorating Akalla station - huge, about 7ft tall and quite wide - one of several depicting "life" (or something like that).  




Several of the underground stations are cavernous - massive cavelike tunnels. One of these was painted all in red and green - red skies and green fields - with scenes of foresty industry (trucks, loggers, people) plus some animals. The artist might have been making a statement about deforestation, or maybe they thought looked pretty!


Every part of the walls and roof were in the red/green - which with the size of the place the end result to me looked a little like a bloodbath in a cave. Or like a science fiction film where the characters have been swallowed by a giant monster.
Massive yes? (that's a triple set of escalators over there) So much red paint. You can't say it's boring.

Several of these stations have little scenes or similar in display windows (one of the stations was nautical themed and had a row boat in a window - others had little houses or tractors or three dimensional art). Worth a few hours of train hopping (and the longest you ever have to wait for a train is 10 minutes) although those big caves are pretty cold.


2 kommentarer:

  1. Leave those Americans alone!

    SvaraRadera
  2. Nice murals though Em, perhaps the red paint is to give you a warm feeling? It's not going to 30Degrees all year around - I am so jealous of the heat you are experiencing too, bring some home! Keep posting, we're loving the tales!
    B

    SvaraRadera