onsdag 30 juni 2010

Terrorising Tourists (and the Changing of the Guard)

I managed to trick a tourist yesterday. It was quite accidental, even though what happened was something that I hoped to do. I was standing at an intersection when someone spoke to me. I didn't understand what they'd said, so I assumed that they were speaking in Swedish. I turned to them and meant to say "I don't speak Swedish" (in Swedish) but managed instead to say "I speak Swedish". The person then garbled some english about how they were just looking for the main train station - so I pointed in the right direction (it was not very far away) without speaking. That night some poor American tourist must have been wondering how they managed to ask directions of one of the few non-english speaking Swedes in Stockholm. Hee hee. I did at least point him in the right direction.

While not misleading tourists, I was watching the Changing of the Royal Swedish Guard at the Palace. There were shiny helmets, there was marching, there were bayonets and there was a band. 



My favourite part was the ceremonial handing over of the walkie-talkie when the guard in the guard house changed over.

My second favourite bit was when the naval band planned the theme form the TV series 'Jag' - sounded very impressive.

It went for quite a long time, and there are at least two different 'changes' as the one Dr M saw was different.  I wonder how many different ones there are. I might go back another time to find out.

3 kommentarer:

  1. I like the uniforms. Shame on you - tricking people and then laughing! Looks like quite bright sunshine over there - freezing here in the mornings.

    SvaraRadera
  2. Looks good, that tourist was probably from the CIA.

    Try not to start a panic with your Swedish instructions.

    SvaraRadera
  3. Hi Em glad to hear that youre having a great time Im disappointed you didnt add your swedish over there when you gave directions We will want a full report on all the varieties of Swedish Chocolate Im sooo jealous you got upgraded to first class.
    Best Wishes
    Trish

    SvaraRadera